Praise the Lord!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mother Knows Best

Tonight me and my mother went for a drive. Such a pleasant thing, it was. Until the subject of my speed came up.
First we talked about how bad my car sounds, like an angry motor boat in the middle of a ravine! "That's terrible. I want you to go straight home and don't drive this car till your dad can look at it." said she. This made me sad immediately. I love my car, probably more than I should! Father knows it's not for materialistic reasons, it's a little old Malibu with several scrapes and bruises, its loud and occasionally it doesn't start, but the near death experience we had together brought us close together! I talk to my car like I would a friend. His name is Alan, by the way. Like Alan Rickman. So I was saddened by the fact that I wouldn't get to drive him to Holden tonight, or drive him to Lee's Summit in the morning. "Abigail, that sounds serious, if your tire blows on you, you'd had better have both your hands on that steering wheel!"

Then came the subject of my speed. Confession: I was going 55 down 7 hwy. "You know the speed limit along here is 45. and it has been since you got on this road.". I slowed to 50. "Your still speeding." my hard headed reply was this, "If they pull me over for going 5 over, they're just looking for something to do.". "oh so you think your above the law?" mom teased. I retaliated. and thus went our conversation, arguing about the speed limit, relating it to my Christian walk and convictions and everything.

I don't remember the rest of what went on. You see my mom and I are so much alike we tend to argue some. but we love each other to the moon and back! But for some reason when she approaches me about something like that, my thinking is "she's just trying to convict me." and my heart goes like a cold stone in a cave spring, which nothing can penetrate. Except the Holy Spirit!

Then after dropping her off at  Wallie-Martie, where she was supposed to meet my dad, I took of down the road (still going 5 over, mind you.) and right about the place where Adams Dairy goes from being really  nice to really ruddy, was were conviction hit me. As I listened to my Harry Potter soundtrack and watched the pale green grass in my perifials,  loving the way the trees drape over the road making a tunnel over the road, I felt convicted.

Ultimately it was not the speed limit I was convicted about. It was my hard heart and my hard head towards my mother. I wondered why she had been so worried about my car, it was because she loves me, and wants me to be safe. She want's me safe and smart about vehicles.

I thought about how many other times I've hardened my head or heart to the things she says, I pass them off as "mothers advice", not realizing that her advice will probably be some of the best advice I'll ever get! My heart turned soft toward her and I immediately wanted to apologize for retaliating so much!

I love my mom soooo much, and I respect her! I pray that the conviction the Holy Spirit placed in me tonight would carry out it's work in me, so that next time my mom tries to convict me. I'll listen :)

God is good and His faithfulness endures forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment