Praise the Lord!

Monday, February 28, 2011

A Summer Memory Of A Carefree Ragmuffin.

The sun had already fallen behind the trees. The last of the light left was caused by the bright gold sunset to the west, it gave the rest of the sky a blue-gray color. A blanket of dew covered the green grass and the pond was still, not a single disturbance rippled across the surface.

I inhaled, a hard cold smell filled my nostrils. I listened, the cicada's loud buzzing was fading in and out in perfect synchronization. I observed, little lightening bugs began to fill the air. My mother and aunt are laughing on the front porch. The sun sinks lower and I can almost feel it getting darker.

I pull my feet out of the water and walk off the dock. Then I set off in a run, as fast as I can, across the Hausmann's huge front yard. The grass is wet and cold under my barefeet, the wind is blowing in my hair, my small feet meet the firm ground with a little thud with every leap I take. I used to run fast.

I reach the porch panting and happy. I sit on the front porch, hugging my knees to my chest and resting my chin upon them. I smell muddy water against skin and smile. I hear the sound of love ones laughing as I watch the lightening bugs fly all over the yard. Their  lovely little light show blinked out of time with the cicadas practiced song. 

That's when the memory fades. I bet I was 6 years old when all of this took place. It was so long ago, but I remember it so vividly. The smells, the sounds, the feelings! I had a wonderful childhood.

God has blessed me so much. I praise him because I grew up with a wonderful, encouraging, christian family. Because I had land to wander and to learn about, and admire, and appreciate His creation. Because, through all this, He still revealed salvation to me. He opened my eyes to see my sin, to see the little wretch that I am. He also opened my ears to hear the gospel. He showed me His Son, and His finished work on the cross. He revealed to me, that the sins I have committed Christ bore on the cross, He took my sin, baring the wrath of God for what I deserved, and has now accredited his righteousness to me. One day when I stand, a wretch with nothing to offer to God, Christ will cover me with his righteousness so that I may spend eternity with Him, that I may know Him.

My Savior! I owe my life to Him because of what He has done for me!
God be praised,
Forever and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment