Praise the Lord!

Monday, December 13, 2010

The Girl and The Lion.

Well since I've written a post about Harry Potter, I think it only fair that I write one about Narnia.
The other night I accompanied a few siblings and few friends to the cinema to see 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' the latest movie about Narnia.
A mon avis, it was a wonderful movie full of adventure, dragons, sailing ships, handsome kings, a lovely queen, and many lessons well learned. At the end of the movie there is a scene where Eustace Clarence Scrub turns around and asks, "Will I ever get back?" At which time the Lion replies with a smile in his voice, "Narnia may have use of you yet." At that part my smile could not get any bigger . . . or so I thought. After the Pevensie children and Scrub returned to our world, Eustace’s mother hollered up the stairs, "Eustace! What’s going on up there? Come down, Jill Pole dropped in for a visit." Needless to say my smile grew.
Why? You ask. Why, because Jill Pole is truly one of the best written little girls in the history of children’s literature. At least . . . I think very highly of her.
Jill Pole is everything a girl ought to be, she is proud, strong, bold, dramatic, adventurous, selfish, emotional, hardworking, joyful, and caring. It is very obvious that not everything on this list is admirable. However they are the characteristics that make a girl.
Another character in Narnia that is most admirable is Aslan. Aslan, the name makes you feel warm inside doesn't it? I think one reason I love Aslan, is because he is the fiction model of our perfect God. One thing that will always amaze me about C.S. Lewis is that he combined theology and children’s stories.
One time my dear cousin Hannah and I were sitting on her front porch, starring out over the large field that stretched before us leading to the pond that had a forest behind it. With a searching look in her eyes she said quietly, "Sometimes I think reading about Aslan makes it easier to love Jesus"
Don't you suppose that was Jack's aim while writing the books, to reveal the attributes of God that we may read about them and glorify Him, or turn our lives over to Him if we hadn't already?
Jack always portrays the relationships between the characters and the lion so well. We see it with Lucy the child, Eustace the ass, and Jill the girl.
Another reason I love the story of Jill is because of her relationship with Aslan, how he was constantly checking her, challenging her, rebuking her, and ever loving her. All he did for Jill, he did for her ultimate good. However, Jill doesn't see this at first, she becomes disobedient and rebellious and try’s her hardest to do the opposite of the Lions will. In the end we see Jill humbled and contrite toward the Lion.
I am like Jill Pole in many ways. With sweet little Lucy we see the caring, gentle, yet majestic side of Aslan. With Jill we see the stern, disciplinary, yet loving side of Aslan.
In my walk with the Lord I am a Jill Pole. No matter how hard I try to obey, things always get in the way (Have I made a rhyme?) distracting my gaze from the Lion, and distracting my mind from the task he has given me. But Christ is always there, rebuking me out of love, and disciplining me by his grace.
 God Be Praised!

No comments:

Post a Comment