Praise the Lord!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"Bricker Residence This Is Liz Speaking!"

What is it about listening in on mothers conversations whilst she is on the phone?

I remember as a child, whenever mom would answer the phone she would lean against her bed and laugh and talk and say "yeah. yeah. yeah. right. right." And everytime she did this the youngest four in the Bricker bunch Matthew, Simeon, Rebekah and I would lay on her bed and listen to her. It wasn't really that we cared about what she was talking about or who she was talking to, sometimes we would try and guesse by the tone of her voice or what she was saying, but that really didn't matter.(Usually at this time we would get excited and loud and mom would snap her fingers and wave her hand at the door, then we would sigh and file out of her room :)

When we got a little older we stopped listening in, we became more interested in other things than mothers phone converstations. Just today though, I walked into the library at my house to hear my mom talking on the phone and I was reminded of when we all used to listen to mother talk on the phone.

I'm not exactly sure why we loved it so much, it takes a lot for a child to sit still during a sermon or a school lesson, but when it comes to a one sided conversation "looook ouut!". Today I figured it out. The sound of a mothers voice. There is no greater sound in the world! Non so comforting and reasuring.

Why is it that when a child has a nightmare, the mother says "It's alright. just go back to bed." And the child believes them! Because they trust them. They are comforted by their mothers promise.

When we listened in on her conversation I think it was because we wanted to hear her talk, without the risk of her asking about our school, or telling us to do our chores, or ever pointing us in the right direction. She just talked in an intirely different way! And we liked to listen to her. Like our favorite CD.

Anyway theres just a little blurp about my childhood and my mother! I love my mother so much. She is the best there ever was!

The End

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for explaining that! I've wondered for years why my four appear and hover around as soon as the phone rings!

    ReplyDelete